Friday, March 24, 2017

A Tribute to the oldest woman in Nigeria - and possibly the world


IN COMMENDATION OF MAMA LUCY NWOBI; WIFE AND MOTHER OF NOBLE CHARACTER.

A wife of noble character who can find?


Aged: 115 years (Died 27th of January 2017)


10 She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
My dearest grandmother, over the years, I have come to see you as the pillar of the Nwobi home. So forgive me when I thought that you would be with us for another 2 years. Maybe 5 even.
Today, as we lay your body to rest, I want to take time out to reminisce over the past years. We celebrate your life, and your death, because by it, you have gone to be with the Lord almighty.
Growing up and getting to know you, I always loved walking into your apartment or looking for you in the goat pen or poultry, in the morning, just to greet you ‘Mma good morning ma’. I simply loved it. It was one of those things about the village I loved. I remember fondly how you chase us all to come into your apartment for family evening prayers. Every time. You never missed.

I remember fondly how we help you sell the eggs, or is it when we follow you into the farm, or when it’s time to bring the ‘food’ for the goats? I remember the cautioning – telling us not to play in certain places. Or is it your bicycle? Even when you got a car, it turned out to be the village ‘uber’. Hahaha. We had fun mama. My siblings and I. my cousins and I. We had fun.
No one has to look far to see the blessings and favor of God on your life. No one has to look far to see the discipline and training you gave our parents your children. Writing about you is a full day’s job, which can only be completed in 10 years with a caption ‘Legendary Lucy Nwobi: The Proverbs 31 Woman’
A strong widow. An amazing mother. A good woman. A beautiful lady. A beautiful soul.
Travelling home was a blast for me because I get to see and spend time with all my wonderful cousins again but mostly, I get to see you. The strong pillar. Never moving. The doctor. The surgeon. The ‘wife’ finder. The prayer warrior. The disciplinarian. The advocate.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
Yes, that once dark moment you lost my granddad. Dark time. But it was a true test of your faith and strength. You labored day and night for the survival of your family. And mama, Welldone! You did it.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
The most generous human I have ever met. The only one I know who sells her goods for free – most of the time. You were always content. And gave out so much. I remember my big cousins saying that when they buy gifts for you, they make sure it’s so much, because you always end up sharing it round. They wanted you to always have some extra for yourself. Oh what a soul!
I have fond memories Mama. Just the other day, Dec 30th 2016, I was admiring your outfit and you said I could have it as well. Or is it when I came to see you and you told me to go ahead and prepare a place to sleep in your apartment even when you really couldn’t tell who I was at the time. Or when you always give us food to eat, snacks to nibble on everytime? Or when you have visitors and you always want to empty the kitchen and your food items? You felt you could never just give enough. Little wonder where all the generosity we see in your children – and grandchildren- came from!
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come. 26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
Your stories; I loved. Stories that tell of your struggles in life. Your sacrifices and eventual victory. I tell them to anyone who cares to listen.
I have a grandmother who is tender with an inner strength, gentle yet firm, kind but wise, hardworking and a faithful child of God – the full endowment a true woman should possess.
As the village physician and surgeon, no one ever complained about complications or side effects. Talk about the fulfilment of the scripture that says ‘I will bless the works of your hands’.
Let’s go back again to the scripture - ‘Your children will call you blessed’. Well, they do. I do. We all do.
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
That is why, we have gathered to praise you. I’m glad we got the opportunity to praise you while you were alive. My time with you over the 2016 Christmas holiday is one of my most valuable possession. The videos we made together! Oh mama, thank you. Charm indeed is deceptive, beauty- fleeting, thank you for instilling in us all the fear of the LORD.

31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Today, I honor My Grand Mum.

Your children honor you.

Your descendants honor you

Awka Etiti honors you.

And I know –

Heaven honors you.

It is due.

The next time I hear people say ‘there is no Proverbs 31 woman’, I’ll just smile, because I know I was blessed to have one. And blessed to still know one – Ify Nwobi. For by their fruit you shall know them.
Like you mama, I honor my parents too. Just like you did. You honored yours – my great grandparents and fulfilled the scriptures. You were a partaker of the blessing attached to the 5th commandment – LONG LIFE.
‘Honor your father and mother; so that your days will be long’
Thank you for being an example.
Keep rejoicing with Jesus in heaven, oh saint Lucy Nwobi. Royal Priesthood. A woman set apart. My Mentor. My Legend.
You were a Wife and Mother of Noble Character!


Loved you yesterday.

Love you today.

Love you forever.

Your Grand Daughter.
Ps: One day Mma, I will be like you. My husband will call me blessed, my children will call me blessed, my grandchildren and great-grand will call me blessed too. Just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHO MY FATHER WAS TO ME GROWING UP - Musings on Father's Day - June 18th, 2017

I grew up knowing my father as my mother’s number one fan, a medical doctor, a lover of people and animals too, my very playful and g...